New for 2016!
- Bike New York will offer a FREE, 2-hour riding class for kids ages 5 and older at 1pm on the parking lot by the Marillac field. Bring your own bike and helmet. For details, see our Bike New York flyer.
- Over 700 FREE bike helmets for kids and adults! Come and get fitted for a free bike helmet between 12 noon and 4pm on the Great Lawn, sponsored by Council Member Andrew Cohen and in cooperation with Vision Zero and the New York City Department of Transportation. For details, see our Bike Helmet Fitting flyer (in English) and Bike Helmet Fitting flyer (in Spanish).
- Animal Care Centers of NYC’s Mobile Adoption Center will bring to RiverFest adoptable dogs and cats in search of loving homes. All animals offered for adoption are spayed or neutered, up to date on vaccinations, and microchipped. There is an application process and an adoption fee for each animal; once that’s taken care of, they are ready to go home with their new families the same day!
- Shoes for the Cause Shoe Drive: bring us your old shoes, sneakers, boots, cleats, and handbags! Riverdale RiverFest will receive a cash donation based on the weight of what we collect from our festivalgoers. Check out our Shoes for the Cause flyer for details.
New performances and activities…
- Arm-of-the-Sea puppet and mask theater at 2pm by the Gazebo
- “Drone Zone” on the Marillac athletic field
- Mini golf on the Great Lawn
- The Riverdale RiverFest Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Olympics, in conjunction with the Riverdale Y and KRVC: REDUCE carbon emissions by running (NOT driving) 30 feet from the start line to a table (a collection point for Shoes For The Cause). Pick up a used shoe on the table… REUSE the shoe by running 30 feet to a collection bin for Shoes For The Cause. Toss the shoe in the bin. Pick up a frisbee or hackey sack from a nearby table and knock down a pyramid of 6 plastic bottles stacked on another table 5 to 10 feet away (depending on age of child)… RECYCLE the plastic bottles by picking them up and tossing them into the nearby recycle bin… Run back 30 feet to the finish line. This is a timed race for kids to do individually. Location: Main Lawn.
Other great highlights include…
FREE Bike Valet by Transportation Alternatives
BoatFest at RiverFest – fun with remote controlled boats
FREE Yoga classes
Talk by Bronx Historian, Lloyd Ultan (3pm at Fonthill Castle)
Bettina Skye, balloon sculpting
Dusty Boxer, stilt walker
Joshua Weiner, juggler and uni-cyclist
Native American crafts and artifacts, by Barry Keegan
Society for Creative Anachronism – Medieval/Renaissance village, featuring arts, crafts and battling knights
ScrapKins recycled art for kids